The Malakoff Tigers track team wins the area championship, April 21 in West Rusk. Memebers of the team include (in no particular order) Tyler Russell, Q.T. Barker, Dylan Grim, Jake Woolverton, Xavier McCullar, Tyler Crawford and Payton Lowrey.
By Ryan Moulds
The News Sports Writer
WEST RUSK–The Malakoff tigers and Estace Bulldogs track teams competed at the District 17-18 3A area track and field meet April 21 at West Rusk High School.
In the varsity boys division, Malakoff finished as the area champion, while Eustace finished as the runner up.
In the varsity girls standings, Eustace finished in second place with Malakoff finishing in seventh place in the team standings.
The top four finishers advanced to the regional meet April 29-30 at Baylor University in Waco.
In the varsity boys division, Malakoff’s Q.T. Barker advanced to regionals with a second place finish in the 100-meters. Barker finished with a time of 11.23 seconds.
• 200-meters, Eustace Bulldog Tate Pace advanced with a third place finish in a time of 23.22.
• 400-meters, Eustace Bulldog Stone Wadsworth was fifth with a time of 52.16. Malakoff Tiger Xavier McCullar was sixth in a time of 52.96.
• 800-meters, Eustace Bulldog Zane Arambula was second with a time of 2:03.99. Eustace Bulldog Andrew Page was fifth with a time of 2:08.42. Eustace Bulldog Michael Wong was eighth with a time of 2:16.15.
• 1,600-meter run, Eustace Bulldog Ericsen Gudjohnsen was the area champion with a time of 4:44.71. Arambula was second in 4:45 and Daniel Purselley was sixth in a time of 5:01.
• 3,200-meter run, Eustace swept the top three positions as Gudjohnsen won with a time of 10:10.96. Brandon Richardson was second with a time of 10:28.38 and Daniel Purselley was third with a time of 10:28.91.
• 110-meter hurdles, Eustace Bulldog Colton Summerall was the area champion with a time of 15.62 seconds. Malakoff Tiger Jacob Woolverton advanced to area with a third place finish in a time of 15.79.
Eustace Bulldog Jude Bonner was fifth in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 17.22. AJ Dixon-Thomas was seventh with a time of 17.92.
• 300-meter hurdles, Malakoff’s Tyler Russell was second with a time of 43.50, while Summerall advanced with a fourth place finish in 43.94. Bonner finished fifth in a time of 44.19.
• 400-meter relay, the Malakoff team of Tyler Crawford, Dylan Grim, Woolverton and Barker finished first with a time of 42.85.
The Eustace team of Alejandro Sanchez, Clifton Johnson, Cory Strawn and Tate Pace finished in sixth.
• 800-meter relay, the Malakoff team of Grim, Russell, Woolverton and Barker finished first with a time of 1:30.54. The Eustace team of Strawn, Sanchez, Keenan Hargest and Pace was sixth.
• mile relay, the Bulldogs team of Johnson, Strawn, Wadsworth and Pace finished first in a time of 3:29.25. Malakoff’s Crawford, McCullar, Coker and Russell finished fourth in a time of 3:35.84.
• field events, Tyler Russell was the area champion in the high jump with a height of six feet, six inches. Woolverton was third with a height of six feet.
• pole vault, Eustace Bulldog Cody Duncan was fourth with a height of 11 feet, six inches. Malakoff’s Sha’Zarrior Bailey was sixth and Eustace Bulldog Charles Womble was eighth.
• long jump, Russell was the area champion with a leap of 21 feet, ¼ inches. Woolverton finished sixth with a leap of 19 feet, 2 ¾ inches.
• shot put, Danyal Littleton advanced to regionals with a third place finish and a throw of 42 feet, six ½ inches. Malakoff’s Payton Lowrey was fifth and Larry Coker was eighth.
• discus, Coker advanced with a throw of 135 feet, eight inches.
In the varsity girls division, Eustace swept the first two positions in the 1,600-meter run as Skye Burns was first with a time of 5:45.63. Molly McAtee was second with a time of 5:46.36.
• 3,200-meters, Eustace had the area champion in Chanda Westbrook with a time of 11:44.06. Burns finished fourth with a time of 12:38.47.
• 100-meter hurdles, Malakoff Lady Tiger Charlsey Stearman was fifth with a time of 17.57. Eustace Lady Bulldog Marshalla Padgett was seventh in a time of 17.65.
• 400-meters, Eustace Lady Bulldog Samantha Richardson was fourth with a time of 1:05.95.
• 300-meter hurdles, Padgett was second with a time of 49.64. Malakoff’s Mackenzie Crist was third in 49.76 and Stearman was seventh in 52.34. Eustace Lady Bulldog Reece Thorne was eighth.
• 400-meter relay, the Malakoff team of Keiundryia Walker, Candace Denis, Monica Oviedo and Dawson was fourth in a time of 51.13. Eustace finished in eighth place with a time of 53.24.
• 800-meter relay, the Malakoff team of Walker, Dawson, Denis and Oviedo was sixth. Eustace finished in seventh place.
• long jump, Denis advanced to regionals with a third place finish with a leap of 15 feet, 11 ½ inches.
She advanced in the triple jump with a distance of 33 feet, one ½ inches to finish in fourth place.Crist finished in eighth place in the triple jump.
• pole vault, Eustace Lady Bulldog Whitney Boerner won the area title with a height of 10 feet, six inches.
• shot put, senior Kiana Reed finished fifth with a throw of 35 feet, seven inches. Eustace Lady Bulldog Gabi Corder was seventh.
• high jump, Crist was sixth with a height of four feet, six inches. Eustace Lady Bulldog Erica Hoops was seventh with a height of four feet, six inches.
• discus, Eustace had two qualifiers with a second place finish by Miranda Fontenot at 96 feet, six inches and Corder in fourth at 91 feet, nine inches.